The purpose of this symposium is to focus on bariatric surgical topics and clinical challenges especially geared to advanced practice professional (PAs, NPs and CNSs). This symposium will address the topics/challenges of: the use of weight loss medications in bariatric surgical patients, the use of gastric balloons in obesity, management of the opioid/substance dependent patient, practical tips in the use of CT scans to identify surgical complications, indications of and the status of postsurgical bone health, the management of T2DM post bariatric surgeries and nutritional tips for especially postsurgical evaluation and management
Primary focus for PAs, NPs and CNSs but RNs, RDs, Behavior Health Professionals, Exercise Professionals, Pharmacists, other Integrated Health Professionals, MD and Surgeons will find information of interest as well.
After attending this symposium, attendees should be able to:
- Identify appropriate situations for the use of weight loss medications post bariatric surgery and the usage and prescription of the FDA approved weight loss medications.
- Understand the recent progress and context of the usage of gastric balloons for obesity and be able to identify expected weight loss outcomes and complications
- Identify bariatric surgical patients with opioid/substance dependence and the steps to take toward the safe preoperative and postoperative management .
- Identify the postoperative complications per procedure that CT Scans are able to discern and the fundamentals to apply CT Scanning to identify complication in patients who have undergone Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastric Bypass.
- Recognize the effects of bariatric surgical procedures and weight loose on the multiple aspects of bone health, especially those indicated by elevated PTH.
- Discuss preoperative and postoperative diet options and vitamin supplementation with bariatric surgical patients as well as trouble shoot common postoperative clinical nutritional challenges.
- Describe and employ recommended practice options in the management of patients with T2DM in the perioperative and postoperative Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastric Bypass patients
Weight loss Medications after Bariatric Surgery: Indications, Options and Outcomes
Vicki March, MD
Update on Gastric Balloon: Outcomes and New Developments
Connie Klein, NP CBN
How to manage substance abuse issues before and after surgery
Stephanie Sogg, PhD
Fundamentals and the Finer tips in abdominal CT scan evaluation after RYGB and Sleeve Gastrectomy
Ramsey Dallal, MD
Nutrition for the clinician: What you need to know to help your patient
Julie Parrott, MS RDN CPT
Perioperative and Postoperative Type 2 DM Management in RyGB and
Sleeve Gastrectomy patients
Christopher D Still, DO FACN FACP